Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Our Journey; Post 7

Description of Photo

Description of Photo

Here we are! Week 39 is upon us. I honestly didn't think I'd make it this far, in the fantasy world of my imagination I thought our baby would be here by now. I also didn't believe my body could withhold the challenges and discomfort of pregnancy for yet another few weeks. I remember sobbing to Nick a fortnight ago... "I can't keep going! My body is broken, I can't make it". A little dramatic maybe, but honest all the same.

The last three weeks have been the biggest physical challenge I have ever faced. No wonder pregnancy and childbirth is likened to marathons and physical victories, I feel as though I have been dragged through race after race after race just getting through the daily basics. I certainly didn't feel like this towards the end of my pregnancy with Stella. I was eager to meet her, but could easily have stayed pregnancy another two weeks longer than the 42 I already was. Or perhaps it's a case of a deceptive memory, maybe I've forgotten how truly hard it can be.

The past few weeks have bought a number of new niggles with them. I began feeling incredibly dizzy, light headed, nauseous and unstable and this lasted for over a week. Frustratingly the midwives at our hospital couldn't figure out the cause of my extreme dizziness and made me feel stupid and embarrassed on a number of occasions. Eventually, with a visit to a really thorough and wonderful doctor she was able to give me a diagnosis of... Vertigo! Who would have thought!

Apparently the Vertigo is completely un-related to my pregnancy, although worsened by things like posture, back aches and bodily changes. She suggested a visit to a chiropractor for some therapy on my neck, but warned me that some people experience 'bouts' of Vertigo that last several weeks and then disappear. The dizziness has almost completely gone now, which is a total relief as I can walk around without feeling like I have downed a dozen cocktails.

Next on the niggle list is pelvic pain. Stella has began groaning when she sits or stands because she hears mama do it so much! I struggle to walk around the supermarket for more than ten  minutes and have a very distinct waddle. Oh pregnancy, the joys you bring!

Description of Photo

Last night, Stella wrapped her present for the baby. She helped me with the sticky tape and we tied a pretty ribbon to the parcel before she placed it in the bassinet. I've also wrapped a sneaky little gift for the baby to give Stella upon their first meeting. That is a moment that I am anticipating with such elation, when two sisters meet for the very first time.

I am beyond ready for the birth now. I feel mentally prepared and our household couldn't be more willing to welcome a new little baby. Our bags are in the car, the bassinet sheets are crisp and clean and frozen meals fill the freezer. All we need now is the pain to start! This is the only time in my life I'll go to sleep at night and wish for pain to greet me!

We have tried nearly every DIY induction in the book, and everyday Nick asks me with cheek "Are you in labour yet?". Here's to hoping that the very last leg of our Journey is soon to eventuate...The final countdown is here!

Thankyou for following along with us and for all your kind words of support and excitement. I can't wait to introduce you to our newest baby girl very soon.
Plenty of love, 
winterlove blog natalie

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck Natalie - can't wait to see photo's of your new baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for the announcement that your girl is here! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife Anne suffered from pelvic pain too while she was carrying our first baby. But then again, the joys of motherhood surpasses all pain :) Good luck with your journey.

    mesh lawyer

    ReplyDelete