Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter crafts; Part 1

sugar cookie wands

Easter decorating doesn't have to be all about pastels, fluff and brights. You can create a beautiful table display for Easter lunch, handmade gifts for family or props for children without even picking up a pink marker.

This Easter I chose a colour palette of chocolate, latte and cream to adorn our house with, and I thought I'd share with you all over the next few days the little DIY projects I nesting-ly lost myself in.

Firstly, Sugar Cookie Wands!
sugar cookie DIY
I used this easy recipe for Kiss Biscuits and inserted a bamboo skewer before baking for 10-15 minutes. Once cooled, I piped on frosting and refrigerated to set. I have found the best recipe for frosting to be a combination of a few floating around the Internet and my fail-proof method (after plenty of practice) is:

Soften 250 grams of butter, Sift in 3 cups of icing sugar and beat on high with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 a cup of milk, and beat for a further minute.
sugar cookie DIY
sugar cookie DIY
Sugar cookie DIY

Once the icing has set, you can either display the cookie wands in jars on your Easter lunch table or hand them out to the kiddies for a chocolate alternative gift. Perhaps even tie together the 'wands' with a ribbon or some twine and pop into a small vase for gift giving; an Easter cookie bouquet!

Sugar cookie wands can be adapted for any celebration really, just add colour suiting your theme or even get creative with frosting and pipe some bunny ears, Christmas trees or birthday numbers. You certainly don't have to be a baker to make a pretty yet easy treat!

Sugar cookie DIY
sugar cookie wands
sugar cookie wands


Stay tuned for more Easter decorating DIY projects over the next few days! I can't wait to show you more goodies!
Plenty of love,
winterlove blog natalie

1 comment: