Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Single and Proud

Hearing Mike Huckabees criticisms of Natalie Portman really struck a cord with me, as I'm sure it would strike a cord with all single parents. It made me really quite angry. At first I wanted to be a little conservative with my opinions regarding controversial parenting issues here on the blog. I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion and there are no 'rights' or 'wrongs' in the parenting world. Although, I'm not going to hide my opinion on this one. Mike Huckabee; You are wrong and so very out of line!

For one, Natalie Portman is engaged and in a stable relationship with Fiancee Benjamin Millepied. Secondly, How many of us actually get married before having children in this day and age? A lot do, but a lot also don't. And not because of recklessness, but by choice. Marriage is beautiful and I hope to one day experience such beauty, but it is not entirely necessary in raising a healthy, happy child. This is not to say that I think any lesser of married parents, I definitely do not.

Huckabee claimed that most single mothers are "Poor, uneducated and can't get a job". This is the kind of stereotyping that is really saddening. I went through a brief period of feeling ashamed of my single parenting status. Especially as my baby was so young; I was single by the time she was 2 months old. I would at times, avoid questions regarding my relationship or even give false answers to questions. At the hairdresser for instance, "So hows 'Dad' coping with it all, is he helping you out?", "Yes of course" I would reply purely for fear of being judged or questioned. The notion that being a single parent makes you a lesser parent is sadly still believed in some societies.

Over time, I gained a resilience and strength that I would never have if it wasn't for my 'situation'. I had strangers e-mailing me for advice regarding relationship breakups and being single expectant mothers. I began to feel proud. Truly proud. I don't hide it anymore, I will talk about my experience and situation with anyone who shows an interest. I want to slightly alter that old fashioned view of single parents in any way I can. I am well educated and single and a Mum. And I am proud.

So Mike; Take that.
And Miss Portman; stand tall girl!

2 comments:

  1. Here here! Well said Miss Nat!

    And when it gets me down, I sing along loudly to "Ridin Solo" - Jason Derulo, and "I don't Need a Man" - Pussycat Dolls to remind myself :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. good on you natalie, couldn't agree with you more xxox

    ReplyDelete